The more languages your Magento store uses, the stronger its understanding capabilities, the smaller obstacles will be that your shoppers will take when finding the products they want. Consequently, the better the chances will be that these shoppers will be converted into customers. It’s the obviously reason why it’s highly recommended to add Magento multi language for your Magento store
Step 1: Download Magento Translation Package
Click http://www.magentocommerce.com/translations to find the language you want to add to your Magento store. There’re about 80 tranlations packages here, and many packages are different verions in the same language. Certainly, there is still a huge lack of packs in many languages. However, if you can’t find your locale mentioned in this list, you can make a request for a new translation package.
Click Inlinie link to view the demo store with the language
Click Stringlink list to see the list of Magento extensions and its translation of labels
Click Package link to download the language you pick
Unzip the packages and upload the folder to the same location on your hosting account.
Step 2: Login to your Magento Admin Panel
Step 3: Create a new store view for your language.
Go to System >> Configuration
Select store view from the left top box of setting up the store configuration scope
Open Locale Options tab select the language as our current store’s locale.
Go to CMS->Pages and select your homepage. From the first configuration screen select the new store view to display this homepage.
To avoid the conflicts of your product images with plagiarists or increase your brand awareness, Magento watermark should be placed on each product image on your Magento site. The watermark can be an image file with formats .jpg, .png, or .gif. Here’s the turial how to add Magento watermark to Magento product images
Step 1: Login your Magento admin panel
Step 2: Go to System >> Configuration, choose Design in the left menu
Step 3: Open Product Image Watermarks tab
1. Base image: To add watermarks to the main product images on the product pages
2. Small Image: To add watermark to the home page and category page product
3. Thumbnail: To add watermark to the product page.
In Size field : enter your image size (ex: 200×300)
In Opacity field: enter your image opacity (ex: 50%)
In Position field : Pick the position you want to set (Top/left, Top/right, Bottom/Left, Bottom/Right, Center…)
Step 4: Click on Save Config to save all the changes
One of the common Magento errors is unability to login to Magento Admin Panel. You can easily solve this problem by loginning through other browser to change the Magento Cookies lifetime higher than 3600 sec as the Magento default.
This tutorial will show you how to change Magento Session Cookie Setup
Step 1: Login Magento Admin Panel
Step 2: Go to System >> Configuration
Pick Web in the left menu and open Session Cookie Management.
Change Cookie Lifetime value from 3600 to 0.
Step 3: Click on Save Config to save all the changes
If your business doesn’t use US dollar for payment, you may want to change the default currency on the your Magento site. This tutorial will go through 3 simple steps to change Magento Currency
Step 1: Login your Magento Admin Panel
Step 2: Go to System > Configuration and choose Currency Set up in the left menu
Open Currency Options tab, in the base currency field and Default Display Currency field , pick your currency, choose the same currency from the Allowed Currencies list.
Step 3: Click Save Config to save all the changes
Switch themes to get new look for your Magento site
Sooner or later, you will probaly to change the theme to get new look for your Magento site. This process can be made easily by following 3 steps as below:
Step 1: Download and install the Magento theme that you would like to install
Click hereto find how to download and install the new theme for your Magento website through Magento Connect, this tutorial will guide you step by step
Step 2: Active your theme:
Go to System –> Design,then press the Add Design Change button
Select the theme you have installed from the Custom Design and click on the Save button in the top right corner to apply the changes
In the footer of your Magento site, there’s a default copyright text and a lot of links which can easily be removed completely only through few simple steps. In this tutorial, we will go through how to remove the copyright ainthe Magento footer section
Step 1: Login to your Magento Admin Panel
Step 2: Go to System >>Configuration
Step 3: Click on the Design on the left bar
Step 4: Open “Footer” tab Change or remove the text in the “Copyright” field.
Here, I set the brand of Magestore.
Step 5: Click on “Save Config” button to save all changes
Cache is used to load more quickly a website. Therefore, using Magento’s cache management system is one of the easy way to speed up your Magento site. When the cache system is enabled, you have to clear the cache before applying any modifications to your Magento store.
This tutorial will show you how to clear Magento cache step by step.
Step 1: Log in to your Magento Admin Panel
Step 2: Go to System >> Cache Management
Step 3: Click on “Select all” or check all the boxes in Cache types section
Pick “refresh” in Action field then click on “Submit” button
Step 4: Click “Select all” again and and select “Disable” in the Actions field
Step 5: Click on Flush Magento Cache and Flush Cache Storage buttons
Protect your Magento site for information security and disaster prevention
It’s necessary to create a Magento backup of your Magento website before making any change or on a periodic basis. If there is something goes wrong in a way that corrupts or deletes important data, having a backup can help you easily restore your Magento website easily.
In this tutorial we will provide you with detailed instructions on how to create a Magento backup of Magento website.
Step 1: Login Magento Administration Pane
Step 2: Go to System menu -> Tools -> Backups
Step 3: Create Database Backup
Click on “Create Database Backup” button
There is a pop-up warning pop-up about long-time-taking process when creating backup. Click on
“OK”button if you want to proceed
It’s recommended to enter backup name with the backup date and tick “Put store on the maintenance mode while backup creation”, then click “OK” button
Step 4: Download the Backup to your computer
This tutorial will go through How to disable Magento modules
Step 1: Login to your Magento Admin Panel
Step 2: Go to System >> Configuration
Step 3: Choose Advanced in the left-bottom menu
Step 4: Open Disable Modules Output tab
Step 5: Click on Save the config button to save all the changes
To find your licence key/purchase code you need to log into your ThemeForest account and go to your “Downloads” page.
Locate some of the Themes Kingdom themes you purchased in your “Downloads” list and click on the Download and next on the “License Certificate&purchase code” link in drop-down menu.
After you have downloaded the certificate you can open it in a text editor such as Notepad and copy the Item Purchase Code.
We will go through how to install Magento Community steps by steps:
1. Download Magento
You can get the latest version of Magento Community here: www.magentocommerce.com/download
2. Upload Magento to your server
Next, you must upload the Magento installation package to your hosting through your cPanel ->File Manager or using an FTP client.
Note: In case you want the Magento installation to be primary for your domain (i.e. to run from http://yoursite.com), you need to extract the content of the installation package in the public_html folder. On the other hand, if you want it to be in a subfolder like http://yoursite.com/store/ you need to extract the content to public_html/store/.
Once you finish uploading the package, you can extract it through your cPanel -> File Manager.
Next, click on the check box next to “I agree to the above terms and conditions” and click on the Continue button.
Now, choose the preferred Time Zone, Locale and Currency and press the Continue button.
Next, input the database details: Database Name, User Name and User Password. You can leave the other options intact. Make sure to place a check on the “Skip Base URL validation before next step” option. Then, click the Continue button to proceed.
6. Continue to create Admin account
7. You’re all set
Magento extensions are one of the most important things that make Magento stand out of its competitors. There are lots of magento extensions being developed by Magento community, and Magestore is also an active contributor with 30+ Magento extensions. In this tutorial, we will go through how to install Magento extension/module/plugin for online store in normal method and via Magento Connect.
Install Magento extension in normal Method
1. After purchasing an extension, you will receive an email that includes the link to access My License Certificates on Magestore website. If you don’t receive the email, you can directly login to your account dashboard at Magestore then go to My Account/My License Certificates. Here you will select your Order number and a corresponding Product then type the back-end domain of your live site. It is optional to add your Development Domains right away or at a later time. Click Generate Certificate button to get your License Certificate.
Note: License Certificate is a pdf document that contains your License Information such as your Product Name, License Serial, License Type, Registered Domain, Expiration date, etc. Your License Serial is unique and can only be used once for one extension. You can go to Magestore Check License Information page, enter your License Serial to check your license status. You can also view your License Information in back-end when your extension installation is finished.
2. Go to My downloadable products. Choose the version of the extension then download it. The file that you download normally is a zip file.
3. It’s required to enable cache in the administration panel of your site. Go to System/Cache Management. Choose all caches and take action “Enable” then submit.
4. Use FTP client (such as Filezilla, WinSCP, cuteFtp) to upload or copy all folders in the zip package to your Magento site root folder. This will not overwrite any existing files, just add new files to the folder structure.
5. After uploading is done, log in your Magento administration panel to refresh cache. Go to System/Cache Management. Select all caches and take action “Refresh” then submit.
6. Navigate to System/Configuration, if you can see the extension tab, it is installed properly.
7. Now if you get Access denied error when click on the extension tab, you need to log out admin panel and log in again.
8. Go to front-end and try to process, make sure that everything is OK
Install Magento extension via Magento Connect
1. First, you need to log in to the Magento administrator area. Then go to System > Magento Connect > Magento Connect Manager.
2. Magento Connect Manager page will open and you will be asked to enter your administrative credentials again.
3. After logged in, you will see 2 tabs: Extensions and Settings. It is recommended to verify the options in the Settings section first.
In the Settings tab, there are several options you can configure. It is safe to leave those options to their default values.
The Preferred State option lets you choose the state of the installed extensions. There are 3 states – Stable, Beta and Alpha. The Stable option is recommended for live sites. Beta/Alpha stats allow you to check the latest versions of the extensions, however, this is generally not recommended as extensions in Beta and especially Alpha state may have bugs which probably will disrupt the functionality of your online store. It is highly recommended to create a backup of your site before downloading extensions or extension upgrades.
4. Now, let’s continue with the installation process. Go to Magento Connect Manager -> Extensions tab. and click on the link to Magento Connect
On Magento Connect website, you can navigate/ search for the extension you need, Magento extensions are categorized into different categories including both free and paid magento extensions
5. Once you finish choosing an extension click on Install Now button and choose the Magento Connect version that matches your current Magento version. If you are using Magento 1.5 or newer, you need to select version 2.0, otherwise leave Magento Connect 1.0. Read the extension license agreement and then check the box for “I agree to the extension license agreement”. Finally, click the Get Extension Key button and you will be provided with extension key
This is the key that you need to insert into your Magento Connect area. Then click Install and then Proceed.
6. Now, the new extension will be automatically downloaded and installed. Any problem occurred during the installation will be showed in the log,so that you know what should be done to resolve it. After the extension is properly installed a screen for a successful installation will appear:
After the extension is successuflly installed it is important to go back to Magento admin and adjust its options according to your needs. Also, make sure that your online store is properly functioning and there are no errors.
Have a new and better look for your Magento website
You can easily install a Magento theme to replace the default theme and get new, better, user-friendly, colorful or professional look for your Magento site by following 3 simple steps as below:
Step 1: Pick and download the Magento theme that you would like to install
There is a lot of free templates available on Magento Connect. Also, Magestore would like to provide a lot of Magento themes for free download: Lingerie Pink theme – best suits lingerie and women collections, Jewelry Theme Moon – Nifty design for outlets providing trendy jewelries and cosmetics, Furniture Theme Jupiter-For all home supply stores with many useful extensions added.
Tick Agree checkbox to the obligatory “License Agreement” and then click on the “Get Extension Key” button.
Copy this link and paste it into your store’s Magento connect tab later
Step 2: Install the Magento theme that you pick
- Login Magento Administration Panel and go to Magento Connect Manager by hovering over the “System” link, and from the drop down menu, hovering over the “Magento Connect” –> “Magento Connect Manager”.
- Here’s place for you to paste the theme extension key copied from the Magento connect. It’s highly recommended to tick the “Put store on the maintenance mode while installing/upgrading/backup creation” checkbox to keep your Magento site safe without any damage or corruption. Then click on Install button
Magento connect checks for the theme key validity and if the key is correct, Magento Connect automatically downloads the theme on your system. If there isn’t any problem with the theme key and Internet Connection during download process, you will be able to see the details of the theme you are trying to install, then click on the “Proceed” button to move the next step. In case there is any error message, please try downloading and installing from the first step again.
There will be a message “Theme successfully installed” to inform you have successfully installed the theme
Step 3: Customize the new theme
Logout Magento Connect Manager and go back to the dashboard to configure the theme we have installed. Go to System->Configuration->Design->Themes and provide the theme name in Default field (which will change your default theme to this new theme) and click “Save Config” button at the top right corner of your screen and the new design should be loading now for your front-page.
One day, you delete your module unintentionally and then clear Magento’s cache. Or the installation of your Magento extensions
Step 1: Login to Magento admin panel
Step 2: Reinstall Magento extension through Magento Connect
- Go to System >> Magento Connect >> Magento Connect Manager.
- Scroll down to see the list of all currently installed Magento extension in the Manage Existing Extensions section
- Pick the extension you want to reinstall and from the Actions drop-down menu, choose Reinstall.
- Click on Commit Changes button to reinstall the extension.
If you’ve found your Magento Admin account password difficult to remember, so long to type or if you think someone else has stolen it, you can easily reset your Magento admin password by following these steps:
Step 1: Log into your Magento Admin Panel
Step 2: Go to System >> My Account
Step 3: Enter your new password in the “New Password” and the “Password Confirmation” fields
Step 4: Click on “Save Account” button to save all the changes
Cron, which is a time-based job scheduler in Unix-based operating systems, enables users to schedule jobs to run periodically at certain times or dates. Magento uses the cron.php file sitting inside the root directory of Magento to manage and dispatch cronjobs. The cron.php script basically executes the internal Magento cron job manager, managing which and when cronjobs are executed. In Magento backend, you can set the frequency at which cron schedules are to be processed. The tutorial below will go through how to set up Magento cron job through few steps:
Step 1: Login your Magento Admin Panel
Step 2: Go to System >> Configuration
Step 3: Choose System in the left-bottom menu
Step 4: Open Cron (Scheduled Tasks) Change the time as the image below (unit: minutes)
Step 5: Click on Save Config button to save all the changes
It’s highly recomment to set up log cleaning function to automatically purge old logs in order to improve site performance and speed. This tutorial will go through the best way for you to set up magento log cleaning
Step 1: Log in your Magento Admin Panel
Step 2: Go to System ->> Configuration.
Step 3: Choose System in the left menu
Step 4: Open the Log Cleaning tab
Save Log: Change the value to 30 days.
- Enable Log Cleaning: Pick Yes from dropdown menu
Config” to save all the changes
This tutorial shows you how to completely uninstalled Magento extension manually or via Magento Connect Manager
Uninstalling Magento extension via Magento Connect Manager
Log into your magento administration panel.
Click on MAGENTO CONNECT MANAGER.
Click the dropdown menu besides the extension you want to uninstall and choose “Uninstall”. Then click “Commit Changes”.
Uninstalling Magento extension manually
To disable module manually, you need to go to module config file, like /etc/ActiveCodeline_MyModule.xml, and set it’s active parametar to false, like:
< ?xml version=”1.0″?>
Magento extension developers regularly release new versions of their Magento extensions to add more features, fix bugs, or to be compatible with the new Magento version. Therefore, you also have to update Magento extensions on your site to more recent version one day, and the good news is the process to upgrade Magento extension/ Magento modules is simple with only few steps in the Magento tutorial as below:
- Step 1: Login to your Magento Admin Panel
- Go to System >> Magento Connect >> Magento Connect Manager
- Scroll down to “Manage Existing Extensions” section
- Click on “Check for Upgrades” button
- If an upgrade is available, it will be retrieved from Magento Connect and you will be able to pick which version to install
- Click on “commit changes” button
- System will automatically install the new version of the extension you choose.
- Scroll to the top and return to admin panel